Monday, September 7, 2009

ER visits

Since I am working the next 9 days in a row, I thought I would post a little about my job. I am an Emergency Room nurse, and I love my job. Well, at least most days I do. Almost every time I work I am amazed at some of the complaints that people come into the emergency room with. Some people make up complaints or lie to find out things or avoid certain people. I had one patient who stated in triage that she had hip pain. When she got back into a room in the emergency room I asked her why she came to the ER today (I ask this of every patient I see). I assumed she was going to tell me about her hip pain. Instead she proceeds to tell me that she wants a pregnancy test. I asked her if she is in any pain, in distress, or has any complaints. She says "No, I just came here to see if I was pregnant." Definitely not an emergency. We did a pregnancy test, and she was not pregnant, so we sent her on her merry way with discharge papers. The other day I had a patient come in by ambulance with complaints of abdominal pain. I entered the room immediately upon his arrival to the ER. I asked where his pain is located. He proceeds to point to the left side of his abdomen and tell me that he had pain there, but he no longer has it. Then within 2 seconds the truth came out. He begins telling me that he never had any pain, but lied to get away from the police. You see a police officer pulled him over and at that moment he did not want to deal with them. This is where his great acting skills came into play. This person tells the police officer that pulled him over that he had excruciating abdominal pain and has a history of bleeding ulcers. He stated that he thinks his ulcer is acting up. The police officer believed him and called 911 for him. The advanced life support ambulance comes out to the scene. They put an IV in the patient and bring him into the ER. After hearing the truth, the patient signs out Against Medical Advice. I removed his IV, and he goes on his merry way. You see his friend followed him to the ER, and now will be taking him back to his car. The paramedics were near by cleaning off the stretcher they brought the patient in and watched the patient walk out the door. They were in shock and aggravated. One of the paramedics even stated to him, "You mean, I could be sleeping back at the firehouse right now, and you called us in for nothing." The patient shook the paramedics hand and walked out the doors he was wheeled in just a few minutes earlier. Unbelievable.

No comments: