Thursday, May 6, 2010

Firehouse

I am going to try to catch up on my blog a little. We will see how that goes. You see we are moving at the end of May, and I have been busy packing.

Today I had to observe 8 hours with paramedics at a firehouse. I am taking a 2 day class to get my ECRN certification. Basically this certification is so that I can answer the radio calls that come in to the E.R. that I work at. Every EMS or paramedic must radio in about the patient they are bringing in to the hospital. I decided to do my ride time with the South Holland Fire Department. It was a fun filled day, and I got a couple of perks for riding along today. South Holland Fire Department had a training session this morning at Dolton's Fire Department. They are getting a new ladder truck, and Dolton has one that is similar to the one they are getting. The ladder on the truck extends 100 feet into the air and has a bucket on the end of the ladder. I was invited to ride up in the bucket. Of course, they extended it the full 100 feet. It was so cool. From that height we were able to see the City of Chicago. At that height we were higher than the water tower that was next to us. The ladder turns in each direction, so while 100 feet in the air we made a 360 degree turn. I loved it. I went on a total of 3 calls, they did not have a very busy day. But, the other perk was a towing company was having a luncheon and invited the firefighters, and I was able to tag along. It was a delicious lunch. It was a very nice day. I wouldn't mind being a paramedic with the fire department, except for the heavy lifting part. I don't think I could handle being a firefighter. I don't think I could stand the heat. Thank you to the men and women of South Holland Fire Department. You all were very kind to me.




I dressed Zander up for the part today since his mommy was going to a firehouse.


And being at the firehouse today reminded me of all the hard work that the firefighters of many towns, including South Holland, did to try and save my parents house. I salute all the firefighter of the world. They put their life on the line every day for others. Thank You.

A dear friend, Jen, watched Zander while I was away and Brian was working. Shortly after I got home, Zander woke up from his nap. We played together until his dad got home. We even had some fun outside, until the wind made it a little too brisk to be outside.






He loved to play with what I call "helicopters."

And sticks too.











No comments: